While we might be ready to double-check our contracts and stay aware of what we say and do during Mercury Retrograde, Mercury isn’t the only planetary Retrograde to look out for in 2023.
A chance for us to slow down and reflect, Retrogrades signify a time for us to renew, reassess and reimagine the areas of our life ruled by that planet.
Upcoming Retrogrades in 2023
Retrogrades are common cosmic events that impact us all – they can cause confusion and revisions and a level headed person can suddenly change their ways under the influence of Mercury in retrograde, but they are not necessary bad or need to be scary, especially when we are aware of them and how to work with them.
During a retrograde the flow of the planet’s normal energy is disrupted and the house that the planet occupies gets affected and may not fully work. The houses that the planets ‘own’ will also be weaker. Retrogrades make the planet stronger which does not mean better; a favorable planet can behave like an unfavorable one and vice versa.
MERCURY IN RETROGRADE
Mercury, rules the intellect, discrimination, communication, language, learning, youth, friends and recreation. When in retrograde we have to think twice before we act or react – in general it’s a time for misunderstandings and misconceptions, so be more aware. And, if something does go wrong, take responsibility, don’t be quick to blame all our events on Mercury.
- A good time to focus on existing and ongoing projects rather than starting anything new.
- Don’t make assumptions and give people the benefit of the doubt – know that the whole world, including the people you are dealing / living with, are also going through Mercury retrograde.
- The negative side of Mercury is jealousy, so before getting caught up in bouts of jealousy – understand it’s the retrograde causing it.
SATURN IN RETROGRADE
When Staurn is in retrograde it’s our second chance to set things straight. If we failed to learn our lessons during its previous transit, then, as it turns back we get a second chance to correct it. Retrograde Saturn is in no hurry, it will give us plenty of time to master its lessons before we move ahead. We must erase from our minds that Saturn is a malefic (unfavourable influence) planet out to create obstacles, distress and suffering for us – this is not the case. Each planet guides us to our final destination, which is towards the ‘Self’.
- Pause and reflect on whatever has occurred in your life these past few months. Write down all the unpleasant experiences and then the lessons that each of these events have taught you – evaluate if you have learnt anything from these lessons and if not what commitment you will take to do so.
- Show discipline and observe a partial or full fast on the Saturday’s during Saturn retrograde, the day ruled by Saturn.
- Practice Pranayama or breath control exercises each day for a few minutes during the retrograde – Saturn is a Vayu (air element) planet so Pranayama is one of the most effective remedies to deal with the Saturnian energy.
JUPITER IN RETROGRADE
Jupiter is the celestial Guru or teacher – the giver of wisdom, knowledge, good karma, expansion and luck. It is about faith, thinking big, and manifesting a healthy outcome. When in retrograde it helps you work on issues involving growth and development, success and happiness. Rituals during Jupiter retrograde give you the opportunity to draw on its benefic (favorable) powers.
- Perform a simple symbolic ritual by applying a little turmeric on to your forehead over your third eye on the Thursday’s during Jupiter retrograde, the day ruled by Jupiter, with an intention to clear and balance your mind so that you can optimally receive Jupiter’s gifts and teachings during this time.
- Offer flowers to your Guru, your guide, mentor – Thursday’s are associated with Guru (Jupiter).
- Meditate or do your prayers during Brahma Muhurta, the creator’s hour, to gain the blessings of Jupiter.
VENUS IN RETROGRADE
Venus, the planet of love, harmony, compassion, joy, beauty, luxury, art, poetry and dance, retrogrades once every 18 months and lasts for about 6 weeks. During this time it is good to step back and regain perspective on all things represented by Venus. It’s a time to reveal your true beautiful self, particularly in relation to people who you’re closest to. We often create a protective shield around us to stop us from getting hurt. And we create distance rather than enjoy the intimacy of relationships, out of fear of being vulnerable and opening ourselves up to emotions we can’t handle or we fear being disrespected – this is all the ego at play.
- Choose love over aggression. Aggressiveness will not pay off during this transit.
- It is a good idea to not start new relationships during this time.
- Chant the Venus Mantra during Venus Hora (hour) – ‘Aum Shukraya Namaha‘.